Registration and Tea:
08:00am – 8:30am
The Boardroom workshops are divided into 3 sessions to prepare you for a tax audit. At the end of the workshop you will have grasped key concepts and learnt how to compile an effective tax risk matrix and tax risk report.
Introduction to the Process – 08:30am to 08h45am
Session 1 – 08:45am – 10:00am – Preparing for the tax review and the legal landscape
- Revisiting the rights of taxpayers, the procedural landscape, the onus and standard of proof
- Revisit penalties, interest and suspension of payment provisions
- Understand which tax mistakes you make red flag SARS
- Be capable of drawing SARS into interaction at an administrative level - avoiding litigation
- Plan for optimal communication and cooperation within your organization, ensuring a high degree of tax awareness in the business, from the ground up
Coffee Break – 10h00am – 10:30am
Session 2 - 10:30 am - 11:30 am – The tax risk review interview process and fact gathering process
- Compile a detailed tax risk matrix with excel summarizing the key tax risks
- Determine the on and off the radar screen tax issues
- Identify which business unit heads will be invited to the interview process
- Review the questions to be asked in the interview process
- Understanding the business unit process and the tax risks that may arise
- Review all tax advice and opinion given in the last 3 years
- Carefully record into minutes and revisit the results of the interview process
- Obtain any other relevant facts
- Revisit the tax risk matrix to amend in accordance with the new found facts
Session 3 - 11:30 am – 12:30 am – Wrapping up the tax risk review process and compiling the tax risk review report for senior management
- You will be taken through a comprehensive tax risk review sample report
- You will be given insight into what must be inserted in the report and highlighted for senior management
- You will be shown how the tax review report interacts with the tax risk management matrix
BOARDROOM LUNCH : 12:30 am – 13:30 am – Question and Answer session during lunch
TAX RISK REVIEW in preparation for a tax audit: the following key points will be covered
- Step-by-step instructions how to plan the tax risk review in preparation for a tax audit
- Why have a tax technician and trial specialist as part of the process
- Who do you interview in the company?
- How to handle various tax risks
- The tax risk matrix and how to use it
- A 'game plan' report at the conclusion of the tax review process and its importance
- Concluding a tax review process in five days
- The need for an outside facilitator
- The legal landscape summary and its use
- The reasoning behind the onus and standard of proof for each risk item
- Building a future defense file
- Running Spot Audits and Insuring your archives are up to date
- What the final product should look like
- Managing tax risks into the future.
Kerry Watkin – Tax Risk Review Specialist
Daniel Erasmus – Keynote address.
Daniel Erasmus is a well known specialist in tax both in South Africa and abroad. He leads a tax risk management practice with clients in South Africa, Africa, Europe and the USA. His tax risk review teams are currently on assignment in Europe, the USA and South Africa. They attend to complex risk review processes for major multi-national corporations. He is also the author of the book “7 Habitual Tax Mistakes” which will be given to you at the seminar. Daniel’s further credentials are available on the website www.taxriskmanagement.com
Kerry Watkin is a tax risk review team leader and has been involved in complex tax risk review processes with Daniel over the past few years. Her training and experience has brought her into direct contact with large multi-national corporations, their complex tax review problems and the innovative solutions provided through a methodology that has stood the test of time. After obtaining a BA and LLB at the University of Witwatersrand, Kerry Watkin’s legal career began at former 100-year old law firm Moss Morris where she completed her articles before joining their tax department headed by Daniel Erasmus. She has been part of Daniel’s team ever since. The firm’s diverse client base has equipped Kerry with skills in a variety of areas in the field of taxation. Kerry has also obtained a Higher Diploma in Tax Law and International Tax from the University of Johannesburg.
BOARDROOM SESSION DATES:
• June 11th
• July 22nd
• August 13th
• September 17th
• November 9th
• December 10th
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THE TRM BOARDROOM SESSIONS?
Anyone involved in Financial Management
READ WHAT PREVIOUS DELEGATES HAVE TO SAY
8:00 – 13:30 ( Half Day)
COST PER DELEGATE:
R2, 215.20 p/p excl VAT (R2, 525.33.00 incl Vat)
Book 4 weeks prior to the event date and get a
20% Discount on Early Bird Bookings !
BOOK NOW and RECEIVE A COMPLIMENTARY Subscription to TAXtalk Magazine, Comprehensive Tax Risk Management Seminar Notes, a Copy of the Lexisnexis tax handbook “Managing the 7 Habitual Tax Mistakes” PLUS the new Tax Risk Matrix.